About the Humane Society of Westmoreland County
The Humane Society of Westmoreland County is a non-profit animal shelter located in Greensburg, Pennsylvania. Originally founded in 1992, the grassroots of HSWC expanded from a few local animal lovers to the multifaceted organization it is today. After acquiring property in Hempfield Township in 2001, and the construction of the dog kennel in 2006, the “Donald Mateer Facility”, HSWC has implemented programs supporting the rescue and adoption of homeless, stray, abused and neglected animals as well as community programs offering affordable veterinary care and surgical procedures. HSWC facilities can shelter 20 or more dogs and 60+ cats at any given time, and have rescued and adopted thousands of cats, dogs, pocket pets and farm animals since the creation of the organization. Hundreds of owned animals pass through the shelter each year in need of spay/neuter and veterinary services as well.
HSWC aims to continue providing shelter for homeless and neglected animals and continue expanding our low cost veterinary care programs for a brighter future for the community and animals alike.
- Low cost Spay & Neuter Program: HSWC provides low cost spay/neuter surgeries to the community as well as several other rescue groups. The importance of affordable spay and neuter options available to the community is an important part of HSWC’s mission to end the homeless pet population.
- Basic Veterinary Care: HSWC provides basic veterinary care and appointments at reasonable pricing to ensure all animals have access to essential veterinary care.
- HSWC is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit agency that does not receive tax dollars.
- HSWC is not affiliated with any other shelter group or agency, including national organizations and does not receive any portion of funding, dues or donations from any other group.
- HSWC relies on grant funding, fundraising efforts and donations from the community to continue our animal rescue efforts.
Animal Intake/Placement at a “No-Kill” Facility
- HSWC is a “No-Kill” shelter, meaning that the shelter does not place a time limit on how long shelter pets remain at the shelter, waiting for adoption. The “No-Kill” policy often limits how many animals can be safely housed at any given time, but HSWC does our best to accommodate stray animals needing shelter, as well as owned animals needing surrendered for many different reasons.
- For more information on placement of stray or owned animals, please contact the office at 724-837-3779.
The Humane Society of Westmoreland County’s mission is to protect and care for animal lives through rescue, shelter and adoption without regard to age, appearance or physical needs. It is, also, our goal to provide community programs to assist pet owners in accomplishing the same mission.
HSWC exists to heal the sick and injured, rescue the lost and abandoned, and give new hope to neglected animals so that they may discover their true destiny and potential upon the earth.
Humane Society Dogs
All dogs available for adoption are veterinary examined, spayed/neutered, vaccinated according to age, tested for Lyme and heartworm disease (dogs and puppies 6 months of age and older), dewormed, flea treated and microchipped. The dogs are walked several times a day through our walking trails and have access to our 1 acre fenced in yard, to socialize with other dogs. Our adoption counselors work hard to match the right dog with their forever family.
Humane Society Cats
Cats and kittens available for adoption are veterinary examined, spayed/neutered, vaccinated according to age, tested for Leukemia/FIV, dewormed, flea treated and microchipped. Our cats are separated by age and each group is given a different room to roam freely. They have access to screened in porches to enjoy fresh air and climbing.
The Humane Society offers a wide array of veterinary services including…
*Spay/neuter surgeries and scheduled veterinary appointments available throughout the week. Please call the office at 724-837-3779 for availability of appointments. Payment is accepted in cash, credit or debit cards, no checks.